The mission of the Rice University Department of Bioengineering is to:
- Perform basic and translational research and education at the interface of biology and engineering.
- Build interdisciplinary partnerships to identify important problems.
- Develop and translate bioengineering solutions.
- Train next generation of leaders in the bioengineering field.
- Solve pressing global health care problems and address challenges in basic research.
The Rice Bioengineering program is a comprehensive training program that provides student with:
- A fundamental understanding of the life and medical sciences.
- Advanced analytical and engineering capabilities.
- Translational research capability for transferring biotechnical advances from bench to bedside
With this educational background, graduates will be well prepared to participate in independent or collaborative research and development endeavors in industry or academia.